Forgiveness For Some of the Media Influences We Have Allowed
Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23
Lord, we recognise that the media – both mainstream and social media – influences us and our children: morally, spiritually and ethically.
We acknowledge there is a battle going on for our hearts, minds, and souls.
Forgive us Lord as:
- Our choices often do not reflect our love for You and our reverence for You
- We too often watch movies that we know have content that we should not watch, and we fail to control what is seen and heard in our homes.
- We come to you in repentance as we have blindly allowed social media, video games and television to become the nanny of our children and we have allowed these to control us.
- Continue to show us the areas of our lives and our family life where we are allowing unhealthy influences so that we completely turn back to you.
- God, help us to take a stand for what is right and to repent of any sin.
Reshaping the Media Industry
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32
The media communicates to us all on a massive scale and influences our culture and thinking. It is important that there is liberty for the truth of God’s word to be freely expressed via our media.
Let us take a stand for the truth and declare that:
- The good news stories about Christianity and how Christianity positively impacts our society will no longer be suppressed or restricted by mainstream media.
- Those who serve the Lord and work in the media industry will be sanctified by the blood of Jesus; they will have the mind of Christ, boldness fuelled by the Holy Spirit, strength of the Word of God and renewed hearts of compassion so that they may be used for Kingdom purposes.
- Those who are trapped, compromised or blinded by deception, fear, prejudice or pride in the media industry will be set free from false beliefs and destructive strongholds. We ask that the Lord shines His light and revelation into their minds, spirits and workplaces.
- The fire of God’s truth will consume every lie and deception. All false information, manipulation, mesmerising spirits and agendas focused on the destruction of the fabric of our society, particularly those targeting the next generation will be exposed, crushed and scattered by the power of God.
Lord we ask that once again, Your truth will fill our news and media.
Reshaping Social Media and the Internet
All your children will be taught by the Lord, and great will be their peace. Isaiah 54:13
Social media and the internet both play a key part in most of our lives and whilst they offer many benefits we are not unaware of the negative influences on so many, particularly the younger generation.
We decree in Jesus name that:
- Cyber bullying and radicalisation of the youth will no longer thrive via social media or any part of the internet.
- Platforms designed to promote self-harm (sometimes leading to suicide) and/or encourage violent crime will become a thing of the past as they will be taken down, never to surface again.
- The big service providers will step up and take responsibility for what happens on their platforms; they will no longer turn a blind eye to harmful things posted via their media.
- As parents and guardians, we will recognise that we are accountable to God for instilling godly values in the next generation. We will step up, be vigilant and no longer leave youngsters to their own devices on the internet.
We pray for:
- Healing and salvation for all the young people suffering from low self-esteem and depression as a result of cyber bullying and other negative influences on the web.
- Repentance, restoration and salvation for all for those who have been radicalised directly or indirectly by the internet.
Drivers of the Media Industry
The king’s heart is like a stream of water directed by the LORD; he guides it wherever he pleases. Proverbs 21:1
The following are all very influential and they direct what is communicated to us and our children on a massive scale:
Producers, directors, writers and studio executives of television shows and motion pictures as well as those who create video games, write and sing music, actors and celebrities, and those who develop the content for popular websites.
Specifically, Lord we ask regarding these ones that:
- You will work in miraculous ways to win their hearts and minds to the Gospel.
- You will shine the light of Your truth into their hearts and bring conviction of sin that leads to repentance and righteousness.
- You reveal Yourself to them as You did to Saul of Tarsus on the road to Damascus.
Father, raise up a generation of godly men and women in the entertainment world who will be true to Your Word, we ask in Jesus name.
Christians in The Media Industry
The king talked with them, and he found none equal to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah; so they entered the king’s service. In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom. Daniel 1:19-20
Thousands of Christians work in the secular media and entertainment industries; trying to be salt and light in workplaces that are often difficult and challenging.
Lord we ask that:
- You raise up godly men and women who are extraordinarily gifted to bring change and goodness to the places in which they work.
- You give them the creative ideas, boldness and wisdom that will propel them to the front of their fields like You did with Nehemiah and Daniel.
- You surround them with grace and protection from the enemy’s onslaught and may they find favour with the right people.
We also pray for the Christian media: those who produce Christian music, radio and television shows, publish Christian literature via websites etc.
- We pray that Your Spirit would bring the refiner’s fire and purity, so that those who profess Your name will in fact represent You well.
- We ask that You will equip Your children in this industry with the creativity and passion to produce shows, songs, books and other output that display Your excellence and bring salvation, healing, encouragement, spiritual growth and the advancement of Your Kingdom.